bluetooth query

Chris Brannon chris at the-brannons.com
Sun Apr 2 00:17:03 EDT 2017

As far as I can tell, bluez-alsa is currently a dead-end for us.
Here are the two problems I see:

1. It does not do any kind of software mixing.  You can only play one
audio stream at a time.  dmix can't be used, because it requires a
hardware device, and bluez-alsa provides a virtual alsa device.
2. There's got to be a way for audio to fall back to another card when a
bluetooth headset loses its charge, goes out of range, etc.  I don't
know how that could be made to work seamlessly.
I wouldn't want espeakup to become completely confused / nonfunctional
just because the BT headset became disconnected.

So I don't think bluetooth with alsa is a good fit for console speech.

-- Chris