Enabling Speakup in Vinux?

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Sep 20 10:42:31 EDT 2016

I think you're looking at this the wrong way. You need to think of
yourself as part of the linux team now. For example, espeak is a
remarkable technical achievement. One guy, Jonathan Duddington, pretty
much all by himself, created a software speech synth to rival IBM's
voxim. If you think that's easy, try festival and flite which were
created by researchers at fairly well funded universities. Both those
software synths have their advantages but there is a reason everyone
uses espeak now. I am not saying you should be like some linux nerds who
insist espeak is better than voxim. I don't think there is anything
wrong with acknowledging the limitations of espeak, orca, and linux in
general. But at the same time, you can't think of yourself as a customer
who isn't getting the kind of service he is used to. You are as
responsible for this as anybody. The fact that there is no windows
executable to install linux is as much on you as it is on anybody. Maybe
you don't have the kind of technical skill it takes to build something
like that -- and that's fine. But nobody else has any more
responsibility for building that than you do.

You wouldn't join a softball team and then at the first game go around
saying how crummy the star player is especially if you're not
particularly good yourself, right? That's why I'm saying you're looking
at this the wrong way. You need to look at it as if you've joined a
team. Because you have joined a team whether you acknowledge it or not.

John G. Heim; jheim at math.wisc.edu; sip://jheim@sip.linphone.org