bleeps and does anyone use goto

Brian Buhrow buhrow at nfbcal.org
Tue Sep 13 01:08:09 EDT 2016

	hello.  I'm not so much of a speakup user, but every text based screen
reader I've used, I'm currently writing on this with a machine running
Yasr, has a review mode.  In review mode, the find function is invaluable
in finding a specific area of the screen.  If you have a screen full of
text, and you want to know on which line a specific string of text appears,
the find function can save you a lot of time in that it saves you from
having to read each line of the screen to find the thing you're looking
for.
	Similarly, the go to function is very helpful if you know how an
application formats a screen layout.  Then, if you want to read a specific
line of text, you can jump directly to that line without having to arrow
around from line to line.  My mail program, for example, begins the display
of a message on the third line of my screen.  So, when I want to jump to
the start of a message screen, I jump directly to the 3rd line of the
screen, and skip having to read the status line and any other data above
the specific lines I want.
	Honestly, I'm shocked that so many on this list think these functions
are vestigial.  Perhaps I'm missing something that's special about Speakup
and the need to use these functions, but I can't think of any configuration
of a screen reader that would obviate the need for these two functions.
Yes, lynx, vi, more, etc. have find functions, but they don't necessarily
let you locate the specific region of the screen where the text you're
looking for is located.  And how you can function efficiently without that
knowledge, or the ability to get it after a couple of keystrokes, is, quite
frankly, baffling to me.

-Brian