A few questions about speakup

Manuel Cortéz manuel at manuelcortez.net
Wed Nov 30 05:25:02 EST 2016

hello everyone,

I just decided to subscribe to this list for talking about speakup. I
have been using it some years ago for accessing to the Linux console (my
main environment was gnome, though). Now I'd like to ask you a few
questions, because I am trying to use only the console and speakup is a
very important part of my learning curve.

1. I have been noticing that there are some programs that are pretty
accessible with Speakup, others that require some modifications (config
files or speakup modifications) to improve their accessibility with the
screen reader, but I'd like to know how much accessible are ncurses
based interfaces with speakup? for a small project I am trying to do, I
have to create a few menus and some other widgets in the console, so
I've decided to use the python programming language and the curses
module already included. But for a strange reason, all of the examples
that I have found don't work properly with speakup, and I am not sure
exactly why. I couldn't find any documentation regarding to this. Do i
have to do something for improving the curses accessibility from Python?
Do I need to use another programming language?

2. English is not my first language, so I've installed the speakup-tools
package and tried to look for a translation in my language (Spanish) but
it is not created yet. So basically I've downloaded the repository at
http://linux-speakup.org/speakup-tools.git and started to work in a few
improvements and a spanish translation for the speakup messages. Seems
it's working properly. I also have changed the speakup_setlocale script
(I have not added this modification to the script located in the
repository, yet) so it list all directories in @pkgdatadir, looks for a
file called languagename in every directory and shows a menu with all
available languages. If called with -l you can set the language code
directly. Is it possible to send changes upstream somewhere?

3. I am learning russian, and I've noticed that there isn not a russian
translation for speakup, it would be OK if we could create a translation
for this language? More specifically, do you think speakup will not have
issues with the russian characters and their encoding? (I assume it
would be UTF-8, but I'd need to test).

thank you in advance for your work in the Linux community.

Best Regards,
Manuel.