using system serial drivers

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Sat Nov 19 16:47:09 EST 2016

Hello,

David, on Sat 19 Nov 2016 11:28:34 -0500, wrote:
> Have any of you bothered to read the code in the driver you are calling
> and see what overhead is imposed on entry/exit? It is quite abit.

That's still extremely slow compared to the actual time spent by
hardware to send the bytes over the wire. Really, nowadays we have
billions of instructions per seconds with all kinds of hardware
predictions to make things fast. The whole kernel has moved to making
things object-oriented to make it more modular etc., speakup can really
afford the same.

> Some synths already have their own catch up handlers, so it would be quite
> easy to write a new do_catchup that used the new serial
> i/o and each synth could call the new one when appropriate.

That'd bring more complexity that needed.

Really, what is costly nowadays is human time to write & read code, not
hardware time.

Samuel