using system serial drivers

David david.a.borowski at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 11:28:34 EST 2016

I have not measured the performance of doing bulk vs one char transfers.
Have any of you bothered to read the code in the driver you are calling
and see what overhead is imposed on entry/exit? It is quite abit.
Some synths already have their own catch up handlers, so it would be quite
easy to write a new do_catchup that used the new serial
i/o and each synth could call the new one when appropriate.
With respect to isa cards, I wrote the dec pc driver for the
old long isa card so I am aware of the fact that
all drivers do not use serial ports.