[DNG] Devuan Minimal Live Images -- new version

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Thu May 26 22:00:27 EDT 2016

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 06:07:56PM -0700, Zachary Kline wrote:
> One thing which should be addressed is multiple sound cards. My current HP laptop has (what also thinks of), as two, since there’s a digital HDMI port. Often, I’d boot a bistro only to find no sound because the HDMI grabbed card0.
>
> Talking ArchLinux has a decent solution to this, but I’ve never seen anything like it employed for other distros.

Good point which I haven't thought of. I haven't used talking
arch. From what I understand though, it plays a file on all detected
sound cards one by one asking the user to press enter to activate that
particular sound card. Is that about right? Such a file could easily
be generated with espeak, or even espeak itself could be used directly
to keep the squashfs size to a minimum.

We also need to keep in mind that these are images meant for everyone,
including sighted users. I imagine they being the majority would find
it annoying every time they were asked to press enter to activate a
sound card, especially if they didn't understand the point. It would
probably be much like the boot process stopping every time asking
sighted users to select which video output they wanted to use. They
would probably appreciate it, but the majority of us would probably
find that annoying. KatolaZ has already made the first boot option
with no framebuffer as the "accessible" option. Perhaps this sound
card detection could run only if the system is booted using that
particular choice, but not on any of the other choices? Maybe someone
has an even better idea?

Greg

web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1