[DNG] Devuan Minimal Live Images -- new version

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Thu May 26 21:03:54 EDT 2016

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 05:36:09PM -0700, Shawn Kirkpatrick wrote:
> Just a couple of thoughts here.
> If you want to generate beeps once the system is booted then try the
> beep command. This command lets you play beeps at a specified
> frequency and length. I've found it very useful to have different
> tones indicate different things during the boot process.
> As for starting speakup, maybe have a small script to do this?
> Something that would involve typing only one command and would do
> all the steps needed. The less silent typing the better.
> I like the idea of having beeps at the isolinux prompt, I don't
> think I've seen a live cd do that before. I really wish isolinux
> could do different beep tones, then they could be used to indicate
> different items.
> Unfortunately some machines seem to have the beep disabled at boot
> so this may or may not work.

Thanks for that suggestion. Yes, it would be nice if isolinux was more
flexible. I also wasn't aware that some machines had their pc speaker
disabled by default. We can only do so much as far as that goes. As
for starting speakup automatically, I didn't think that was a good
idea. What if the user wants to use a hardware synth (once those work
again), instead of software speech? I personally like the approach
that grml takes these days, let the user start speakup in whatever way
the user wants, software or hardware speech. What if the user doesn't
want speakup, but wants brltty or yasr instead

Also, KatolaZ isn't on this list, so please either cc your thoughts to
KatolaZ, or send them directly.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net