Desiging a case (was: Access Technology)

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Thu May 26 09:26:45 EDT 2016

I'm changing the subject of this thread...

Is there a standard for the size and shape of small motherboards? When I
got my pi, it wasn't even standard for different versions of the pi.
When you ordered a case, you had to know which revision of the raspberry
pi you had.

What we need is to get one of the dozens of people trying to design the
next break-through braille display to give up on that and design us a
case that can be printed on a 3D printer. Seriously, how often do you
hear about another group of well-meaning grad students working on yet
another cheap braille display that never materializes?

I am imagining a set of instructions that would include how to order the
various parts like battery, keyboard, etc, a 3D printer file for the
case, and instructions for installing linux and getting speakup working
on a pi. Bingo! A notetaker any blind person can build themselves.

On 05/26/2016 02:36 AM, Janina Sajka wrote:
> Glenn writes:
>> If the keyboard wasn't an integral part of the motherboard, I'd consider
>> pulling the MB and putting in my Raspberry PI.
> This is a pretty sound idea, imo. If we had a box with speakers, braille
> keyboard, basic other IO like RJ45, audio, etc., but could simply swap
> in mb from time to time to pick up on enhanced cpu, ram, etc., wouldn't
> that be pretty future proof?
>
> Janina
>
>> Glenn

>>> Z80
>>> offshoot. Pretty sure they had no more than about 2 megs of ram and
>>> probably

John G. Heim; jheim at math.wisc.edu; sip://jheim@sip.linphone.org