Question: Reading the Output of Top

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri May 6 09:30:17 EDT 2016

I doubt that there is an answer to your first question. You could
probably write a script to do it.

As for your second question, I run top thusly, 'top -bn1 | more'. This
runs top in batch mode and has it retrieve the data just once. Piping
the output to more keeps the data from scrolling off the top. What you
get is a snapshot of the data at the moment you run the top command.

PS: You can also set the refresh rate for top to something high enough
for you to listen to the output.

John G. Heim; jheim at math.wisc.edu; sip://jheim@sip.linphone.org