USB synths

Chris Brannon chris at the-brannons.com
Fri Mar 11 17:17:49 EST 2016

John G Heim <jheim at math.wisc.edu> writes:

> The udev system isn't going to recognize a Tripletalk speech synth. It
> must be loading some generic device driver and even though the file
> has read/write permissions, you can't actually write to it.

The kernel provides a device node for each of your USB devices, but you
aren't really supposed to interact with those using the standard Unix
utilities.  They're used by libusb, which makes it possible to drive
USB devices directly from user space.  For instance, sane's USB scanner
drivers use libusb, and libusb communicates with the kernel via device nodes
under /dev/bus/usb.  I don't know much more about how libusb works
internally.  My understanding is kind of sketchy.

So what I'm saying is that those device nodes are only of interest if
you wanted to write a user-space programm using libusb to directly
interact with the TripleTalk.

-- Chris