USB synths

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Mar 11 15:05:54 EST 2016

I wrote a udev rule to create a symlink to the device assigned to my
tripletalk USB. But echoing a string doesn't make the synth speak the
string like it does with the serial port. It generates a write error
message. It's strange because the device file the kernel creates is a
writable character special file.

The udev system isn't going to recognize a Tripletalk speech synth. It
must be loading some generic device driver and even though the file has
read/write permissions, you can't actually write to it.

John G. Heim; jheim at math.wisc.edu; sip://jheim@sip.linphone.org