Help with serial synths in 4.X kernels

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Fri Mar 4 18:19:14 EST 2016

Hello,

John G Heim, on Fri 04 Mar 2016 13:50:31 -0600, wrote:
> Is your patch supposed to take the place of that lame patch I used to post
> that just commented out the return code?

No. Both are needed.

> I edited /default/grub and added"
>
> 8250.nr_uarts=0".

That, however, is supposed to save having to use the lame patch: it just
disables the 8250 driver which conflicts with speakup.

> Then I compiled a kernel with your patch and installed it. But saying "modprobe speakup_ltlk" doesn't work and generates error messages in the syslog. I've cut/pasted them below. I am guessing the key line is the one that says, " Unable to allocate port at 3f8, errno -16".

That's odd. Are you sure the 8250.nr_uarts=0 parameter is effective?
Check in /proc/cmdline and you can also check in /proc/ioports what
driver is keeping them busy.

Samuel