Problem with apollo II on dell power edge t20

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Jul 5 18:07:31 EDT 2016

You could try a kernel patched to avoid the serialio bug. This bug
causes speakup to fail to load the driver for some serial port
synthesizers because the port is flagged as in use by the linux kernel.
You can modify the kernel code to make it ignore the flag. The drivers
for some hardware synths never bothered with that flag so that may not
be your problem. You would have to examine the code to know.

I wrote a script for debian systems  that builds a patched kernel. As
far as I know, it works only on debian systems.  You can download the
script at:

http://www.iavit.org/~john/debian/make-speakup-kernel

This script does the following:
1. Installs packages necessary for building a kernel.
2. Downloads kernel source from debian (not linux-kernel.org).
3. Downloads and installs a patch I created for 3.16.7 kernels.
4. Compiles a pathed kernel and creates debian deb packages .

You must then install the kernel with dpkg.