mail server setup

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Jan 13 09:00:04 EST 2016

I don't think there is a better spam filtering tool than spamassassin. I
ran the mail server for my department and all by myself, I was able to
get filtering as efficient as the campus mail server which used a
commercial product and had a full-time employee tuning it. The secret is
crowd sourcing. I had it download a new set of rules nightly and
configured it to use 3 crowd sourced systems, dcc, razor and pyzor. It
took a while to set all that up but once it was done, all I had to do
was sit back and let the world tune my spam filter.

Spamassassin is a bigger resource hog than anything else in a mail
system. I think that is probably true of any spam/virus filter. There is
just a lot to do.  And really, it's the virus scanning part that is the
worst. You don't want to skip that. We had about 200 users on a machine
with 16 cores and 32 Gb of ram. It never had a problem with the load.