mail server setup

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Sat Jan 9 18:53:31 EST 2016

On Sat, Jan 09, 2016 at 03:48:06PM -0500, Janina Sajka wrote:
>  In any case, you'll want to configure dkim and dmark for your mta.
>  These assist the net in assuring you and everyone else that what you
>  receive, and what you send is legit.

Ok, I wasn't going to go there. Getting a basic mail system properly
configured and secured is tough enough for a newby. Since you let the
cat out of the bag though, I'll also mention it's worth setting up spf
(maybe that's what you mean by dmark). Since I use postfix, I use
postfix-policyd-spf-python for spf.

>  Spam is a never ending battle. Expect to need to work on your
>  configurations and approaches from time to time as the months and years
>  go by.

Agreed.

>  If this sounds daunting, that's probably good. It's not a trivial task,
>  but it can be fun and certainly can be rewarding. I certainly have no
>  interest in giving up my setup for some service somewhere else.

Agreed. Even with the most feature-rich paid mail providers, nothing
beats the responsibility and freedom of running your own mail
server. Sometimes nothing probably beats the occasional headache
either (grin).

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net