responsibility for speakup, was: Re: Help with serial synths in 4.X kernels

Scott Henning shenning at durango.net
Fri Feb 26 17:28:41 EST 2016

Hello all,

This was quite a thread. I am usually only reading, since I have yet to
make Speakup work for long and I need to keep Windows going to have
work. My thanks to all for the technical and philosophical insights.  I
stay on the list because my needs may change and a console with speech
strikes me as a practical way to use a computer. Braille is not my
strong point and I would flounder using it, but appreciate that it is
also a possible future solution.

I remember the dialogue to work with the kernel developers and the
response.  My sense is that everyone is busy and most of this
development is done as volunteers. That applies to both Speakup and the
kernel. Or is development on the kernel done by paid programmers?

All I have to say is thanks to all who are passionate and dedicated to
Speakup and Linux to keep working on it. It gives me hope I will be able
to use it when I am ready, because there will be this pool of code
contributed on this project.

Sincerely,

Scott

--