[Support] status of our new images and a request (fwd)

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at panix.com
Wed Feb 17 06:51:27 EST 2016

--

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 01:49:28
From: kendell clark via Support <support at sonargnulinux.com>
To: Christopher Chaltain <chaltain at gmail.com>,
     "support at sonargnulinux.com" <support at sonargnulinux.com>
Subject: Re: [Support] status of our new images and a request

hi
Do you have some kind of way to get speakup playing nice with pulse audio? I've
tried this several times, and the only way I can get this working reliably is
to either start espeakup *after* the desktop is loaded, rather than on boot, or
by configuring pulse audio to use dsync in alsa, disabling a lot of it's
advanced functionality in the process. Leaving both configured as they are out
of the box results in no sound from speakup getting through once you're logged
in. This is why I say that it doesn't work on modern distros unless you know
what you're doing. I'm trying to get this working for new users who won't know
and most likely wouldn't care if I bothered to explain, which I find myself
less and less inclined to do as time goes by. Having said all that, I'd be glad
to make this work reliably if there's some sort of configuration I can perform
that would allow speakup to work, while also allowing pulse audio to work like
it's intended. One other issue I've noticed is that while pulse audio can rout
most audio over to new devices or back and forth between sound devices with no
problems, speakup doesn't allow this and only works on whatever sound device it
did when started. I think this might be either because it's using alsa,
unlikely, or that it's running as root, and so pulse audio can't mess with it.

Thanks
Kendell clark