[Support] status of our new images and a request (fwd)

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at panix.com
Wed Feb 17 06:49:52 EST 2016

--

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 23:42:51
From: Kyle via Support <support at sonargnulinux.com>
To: "support at sonargnulinux.com" <support at sonargnulinux.com>
Subject: Re: [Support] status of our new images and a request

I am also able to use Speakup in combination with Pulseaudio on one machine,
but that is because it has a Soundblaster Live Value, which never blocks when a
sound is playing. This, and a few other cards,, including it seems the chip on
the Raspberry Pi2, are capable of playing multiple sounds at once, whereas most
cards are capable of only playing a single sound, and mixing of more than one
sound must be done in software. This is what Pulseaudio does very well. It
routes many sounds at once being generated by one user's processes through a
single sound card that can normally play only one sound at a time.
Consequently, as long as Pulseaudio has the sound device open, the card cannot
play any other sound, and if Speakup is playing Espeak through that card,
Pulseaudio can't get at it. Sadly, this is the rule, and the ability to play
both at once is the exception. This appears to the cause of all conflicts
between Speakup and Pulseaudio, and there is little that may be able to be done
that can fix that, short of running one or the other through a second card.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong now, but this has been my experience on
various machines.

Sent from my IMAP compatible e-mail device