broken UEFI and live media

Chris Brannon chris at the-brannons.com
Sat Feb 13 12:42:09 EST 2016

Something I've noticed recently is that every time I boot my UEFI
machine from live media, it always boots into legacy mode, even though
the aforementioned live media is supposed to support both UEFI and BIOS
mode.  Yeah, I've tried with a couple different live media: Talking Arch
and Grml.
Anyone know what's going on?

My suspicion is that the firmware sees that the device has both a
standard MBR with boot partition and a GPT partition table with an EFI
system partition, so it boots from the MBR first.

What's interesting is that when I did the initial install way back in
2012, I did get it to boot the installer in UEFI mode.  But that's
probably because back then, I had to hand-craft the image on the USB
stick to boot with UEFI.  I don't remember what I did back then.  I lost
the image, so I can't compare it to what is being done these days.

-- Chris