keeping espeakup from starting at boot

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Feb 9 11:32:24 EST 2016

I ran 'systemctl disable espeakup' on one workstation and it said that
espeakup is not a native systemd service. It then ran insserv for me.
Insserv modified several files including /etc/init.d/.depend.boot. But I
didn't find any clear/easy way to disable espeakup via just setting a
flag in a config file.

So I just punted and deleted /etc/rcS.d/S02espeakup.

I manage approximately 100 workstations and I'd prefer to set a flag in
a config file because I can easily ship that config file to all 100
workstations. It's just as easy to run a command on all 100 workstations
but then there is no record of the command having been run. Well, it
would be in a log but logs get rotated out. If it's a flag in a config
file, it's just there. You can check on it a month from now or a year
from now and know how the service is configured.

My guess though is that I'll be able to get what I want once everything
is converted to systemd. It looks like you will be able to create a
custom config file in /etc/systemd/ that enables or disables the service
at boot. In some ways that's better and in some ways it's worse. If the
file exists at all, you know the configuration has been customized.
However,if a service isn't working, you might not think to look for a
custom systemd config file.