keeping espeakup from starting at boot

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Feb 9 09:24:35 EST 2016

Yeah, I'd rather not run a command if there is a config file I can set
it in. I have been somewhat remis in my duties as a linux systems admin
in having not taken the time to really learn about systemd. But if it
requires you to run a command to configure services, then it's broken.

I looked for info on configuring services in systemd. I found a nice
blog post about why /etc/default/ files aren't really needed in systemd.
But the advice it gives doesn't seem to apply to espeakup. It says to
take the default config file which would be somewhere like /lib/systemd/
and copy it to /etc/systemd/ and edit it there. But there is no
espeackup config file anywhere in the systemd directories. I suspect
that espeakup is relying on the backwards compatibility features of
systemd. As someone who has ignored systemd as long as possible myself,
I can't fault the espeakup developers for that.