eSpeakup Source Tarball

Chris Brannon chris at the-brannons.com
Wed Aug 31 18:48:41 EDT 2016

"Rob" <captinlogic at gmail.com> writes:

> I found a download link for the old eSpeak on sourceforge. I am not
> using espeak-ng, because it is only available on github and you need
> their client to clone repositories.

Not quite.  You can use HTTP to get tarballs.  For instance, this link
will get the current master branch for espeak-ng:
https://github.com/espeak-ng/espeak-ng/archive/master.tar.bz2
And you can also get released versions.  Just replace master with the tag.
That being said, you cannot use espeak-ng with espeakup right now,
because of a bug that causes espeak-ng to crash if espeak_Cancel() is called
before any text has been synthesized.
Here's a link to my pull request to fix that:
https://github.com/espeak-ng/espeak-ng/pull/143
All that being said, espeak-ng looks to have a very bright future.

> So is there a tarball somewhere for eSpeakup that I can just use a wget command for?

Sure.  espeakup is on GitHub, and here's the link for downloading the
most recently released version, 0.80:
https://github.com/williamh/espeakup/archive/v0.80.tar.gz

PS.  One of you Arch Linux people should flag espeakup as out of date and
give them this new download URL for 0.80.

-- Chris