greetings

Zachary Kline zkline at speedpost.net
Wed Aug 31 15:10:07 EDT 2016

Dear Chuck,

You missed some discussion on this a few weeks ago.

To sum up, it’s a Portaudio bug which has been noticed thanks to an Alsa upgrade, and there is a temporary workaround. All you need to do is edit “espeakup.service,” or create a drop-in snippet. In the [Service] section, put the line
Environment=LIBASOUND_THREAD_SAFE=0

Case is important here, and the way I did it was to just do “sudo systemctl edit espeakup.service.” I hope this helps.
Best,
Zack.