problem LOADING LITETALK DRIVER

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Aug 1 14:36:57 EDT 2016

Okay, so now it depends on which kernel version you are using. I've seen
messages on this list that seem to indicate that the linux kernel has
been patched so you can use a litetalk. I could not get my litetalk to
work even with an ubuntu 4.2 kernel. I haven't tried it yet with the
ubuntu 4.4 kernels. But it looks like you are running debian stable
which has a 3.16 kernel. If so, you are going to have to install a
patched kernel.

I was just about to make a patched kernel for debian jessie available on
the web site of the International Association of Visually Impaired
Technologiests, www.iavit.org. I've been on vacation for 2 weeks and I
uploaded it right before I left. I can probably finish it up today or
tomorrow if you want to give it a try. I can tell you how to download a
file for apt that will recognize the iavit.org archive and then you can
use apt-get to install my patched kernel.

Another thing you could do is to  try the script I wrote to compile a
kernel from the debian kernel source package. It automatically downloads
the debian kernel source, installs a patch I wrote to work around the
bug.  and compiles the kernel. I wrote the script to make it easier for
me to maintain a patched kernel for people to download. Theoretically,
you run this script, come back a couple of hours later, depending on how
fast your machine is, and you have a patched kernel package ready to
install.

Finally, I can give you instructions for patching the kernel so you
don't have to rely on me or anyone else to fix the problem. It's up to
you. To fix the kernel code so it works, you edit the file
drivers/staging/speakup/serialio.c. Somewhere around line 46,  find and
remove the line that says "return null". Then recompile the kernel by
whatever means you want. I use the debian makefile myself but that won't
work if you get the code directly from linux-kernel.org. Those of us on
this list can give you more detailed instructions if you decide you want
tto learn how to fix the kernel yourself.