Teaching Speakup how to pronounce characters

Zachary Kline zkline at speedpost.net
Sat Apr 9 22:10:52 EDT 2016

Hi Chris et al,

I hadn’t considered that the characters Unicode values would fall outside that range. The actual CP437 just uses different mappings for 0 to 255.
I was hoping I could do something with the characters file to make them read reliably.
I imagine the process of getting Speakup to handle Unicode is non-trivial.

Thanks for the answer, even if it isn’t what I wanted to hear. Would the speakup “pass text directly to soft synth,” option help at all?
Best,
Zack.