Why I can't recommend Arch or Gentoo

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sat Sep 26 07:20:26 EDT 2015

I never got as far as looking at the Arch installation because of the two
major problems, one being the lack of sound and the other being with brltty
locking up my DECtalk Express.  However, the more I think about it, the more
I think the problems are not with Talking Arch specifically, but with Arch
upstream.  Not being an Arch user and no longer being interested, I'm not
going to do anything about it, but someone should probably file bugs on
this.  Whether we like it or not, sometimes we need to make mods to talking
media in order to get around strange accessibility issues.  I think this is
one of those cases, at least with brltty in particular, but that's not my
decision to make.

With my own live CD, it's entirely Debian packages with a few very minor
scripts and a startup sound.  While it can be installed to the hard drive
with a single command (bootcd2disk), that isn't its intended purpose,
although it is an option for people who want a working Debian system which
comes up talking with no hassle.

Out of curiosity, what is your sound card?  It might be a matter of the
firmware being non-free, in which case most distros aren't going to work
unless they provide non-free firmware.  If it works on another distro, it's
probably an Arch problem.  Also, it might be muted by default, in which case
Talking Arch (and all distros) should include unmute scripts.