Why I can't recommend Arch or Gentoo

Kyle kyle4jesus at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 17:05:50 EDT 2015

Unfortunately, I don't believe that Orca has full touch screen support
as of this moment. Specifically, I don't think touch screens are fully
supported in at-spi, which is the part of the system that actually
handles such things. Touch screen support in at-spi and Orca would
currently be limited to some sort of mouse pointer emulation that may
work similar to the way Android's explore by touch system works, but
this would be using the "speak object under mouse" functionality of
Orca, which may present more problems on touch screens than it solves.
I'm still not comfortable attempting to type on touch screens anyway,
which is why I still purchase phones with built-in keyboards. If I'm
gonna purchase a second device just for typing, then I'd rather have a
laptop, and I'm currently working on building an open design around
some of the new ARM boards, which should combine the best of the
desktop in a much more portable package with better battery life than
most of today's laptops, and would offer better input flexibility than
most of today's tablets.
Sent from my cello