latest version of TalkingArch

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue Sep 22 06:16:51 EDT 2015

On 9/21/2015 10:02 PM, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> I'll have to download another copy of the istall disk.  I was using Kyle's
> audio instructions and couldn't find /etc/asound.state

It's /var/lib/alsa/asound.state.  If you have a working Linux system with
sound, mount it and copy your asound.state over to /var/lib/alsa on the live
CD.  You'll then have to run:

alsactl restore

That's what I had to do.  It was not easy without speech, but fortunately, I
was already at a root shell.

> I couldn't get thee sound card talking on a reboot so will have to download
> another instance of this package.

What package do you mean and what sound card do you have?  If it works in
Debian or some other Linux, it's probably related to the same problem I
encountered.  Upon thinking about it, I think the sound problem might be an
Arch upstream problem and not specific to Talking Arch.  Similarly, the
brltty problem has to do with the default brltty.conf and isn't specific to
Talking Arch.