Why I can't recommend Arch or Gentoo

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue Sep 22 04:25:26 EDT 2015

I'm not going to quote Kyle's very long reply here, but I'll address the
highlights:

1. No, I wasn't complaining.  I was simply pointing out observations.  I
apologize if it came across as complaining, but I tried to keep things as
unbiased as possible.

2. My live CD is meant as a rescue CD since there currently isn't a Debian
rescue CD, let alone a talking one.  One can install it to a hard drive if
they wish, but that's not the purpose.  As I also mentioned but you failed
to address, Debian is eventually going to get this fixed and it will talk,
so there will be no need for my CD.

3. I was not complaining about or requesting CD media.  Some people have
mentioned this and older machines might not have DVD readers.  That's it.
Personally, I agree with you that CD media is probably no longer necessary.
  My live CD is at the max of 700 MB now and is still missing packages I
want to add.  I'm faced with the choice of freezing development or growing
to DVD media.

No, I won't join your IRC channel and no, I won't bother with the sound card
issue.  It is a Sound Blaster Audigy and the issue has been fixed in Debian,
so borrow their ALSA configuration.  I did read the blog before downloading
the CD image several months back.  Eventually, I'll take another look at
Arch, but not for a while.

Finally, not once did I say Arch is bad or what you're doing is bad.  I have
suggested Talking Arch a few times, but people weren't interested.  For the
few people who only want the console for whatever reason, Arch is a good
alternative and I didn't say otherwise.  I simply pointed out why I
personally can't recommend it.  I look at several issues, such as what I
previously mentioned.  There is no public bug tracker specific to Talking
Arch, there are only two developers, support email didn't get answered, etc.
  That is understandable given the volunteer nature of the project, but does
unfortunately mean I can't recommend it to the masses.  I'm never
close-minded, so when you feel this issues have been addressed, please post
here or contact me and I'll take another look.