OT: command line epub reader?

Kirk Reiser kirk at reisers.ca
Mon Oct 5 22:51:17 EDT 2015

Well, that really depends more on how the original document was set up
than the conversion. The ebook-convert script has options to keep or
throwaway any type of formatting the document contains. There's no
reason a text file can't contain any information you wish to keep.

On Mon, 5 Oct 2015, Tom Fowle wrote:

> Willem and Kirk,
> thanks both will check out these possibilities.
>
> Possible disadvantage of text is you probably loose markup if any E.G. pages
> chapters etc.  Maybe html in some cases.
> TNX&73
> tom Fowle WA6ivg
>
> On Mon, Oct 05, 2015 at 07:25:07AM +0200, Willem van der Walt wrote:
>> Hi,
>> There is ebook-speaker by Jos Lemens which would read some epub
>> books directly.
>> The way I would prefer at the moment, is to install calibre and use
>> its command-line program called ebook-convert to convert the epub
>> into some format you like, like .txt or html.
>> Then there is the cainteoir program which do read epub, but the
>> player is currently more of a demonstrator of the functionallity of
>> the cainteoir library than a player that  one would use on a daily
>> basis.
>> Cainteoir can be used to extract the text from epub as well.
>> HTH, Willem
>>

>> On Sun, 4 Oct 2015, Tom Fowle wrote:
>>
>> >Hi folks
>> >Is there a command line reader for .epub books?Did a net search and didn't
>> >find anything promising but maybe missed something great?
>> >thanks
>> >tom Fowle

>> >--
>> >This message is subject to the CSIR's copyright terms and
>> >conditions, e-mail legal notice, and implemented Open Document
>> >Format (ODF) standard. The full disclaimer details can be found at
>> >http://www.csir.co.za/disclaimer.html.
>> >
>> >This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by
>> >MailScanner, and is believed to be clean.
>> >
>> >Please consider the environment before printing this email.

Well that's it then, colour me gone!