upgrade to jessie, what to backup

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Thu Nov 5 05:22:55 EST 2015

I know this seems obvious, but did you make a tar archive of /etc in single
user mode?  Just doing a file copy to an external drive won't usually work
because file permissions aren't preserved.  Most external drives are
formatted as NTFS or FAT32 and are not suited for file backups.  Making a
tar archive of /etc is generally safer and does preserve permissions.  This
command should work, but if not, someone will hopefully correct me:

cd /
tar cf etc.tar etc

You might want to check the official Jessie release notes here:

https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/releasenotes

I suggest installing something like Screen or tmux, just in case the upgrade
takes longer than planned or somehow leaves you without a working shell.  It
is very useful to be able to create a new window to check configuration
files, manuals, web sites, etc.  You can detach, create new windows, etc.
Also, keep a script of the output as sometimes messages and warnings are
displayed which you might miss.  You do that with the script command.  Run
"script" first before starting the upgrade but after launching screen or
tmux.  You want to be especially careful about upgrading your kernel and
probably want to do that separately after the system upgrade, but follow the
guidance in the release notes if in doubt.