Debian upgrade to Jessie

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue May 19 12:49:04 EDT 2015

Have you tried using software speech on your machine? I would be very
surprised if it really is too slow. I used to have a laptop with a
original Pentium processor and 56Mb of ram. That is not a typo, 56Mb of
ram. Speakup with software speech ran fine. I used to walk around my
house streaming the audio portion of TV shows on it. I also have a
machine that is the mid-90s equivalent of a raspberry pi. This machine
has a 486 processor and 256Mb of ram. It's a Soekris 4801 in case you're
curious. Anyway, it runs speakup with software speech just fine.

I guess it might depend on what else you are doing on your machine. But
if your machine is slow, I would doubt that the problem is primarily
with software speech.

John Heim, jheim at math.wisc.edu, skype:john.g.heim