Looking for accessible web host and domain registration

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Wed May 13 03:32:25 EDT 2015

On 5/12/2015 5:13 AM, Jason White wrote:
> My DNS records, Internet telephony system, mail server and Web server
> are all on a virtual machine hosted by http://www.linode.com/ which
> offers a choice of Linux distribution. In addition to having root
> access to the virtual machine over ssh, you can manage it over an ssh
> connection, for example to reboot it, check its status, access the
> console when networking isn't functional, etc.

Hi,

Yes, I know about dedicated and virtual servers.  I'm now with Hetzner and
they so far have the best deal and offer the most features.
<http://www.hetzner.com/>  I found them cheaper than anyone else and I
looked at all of the major server companies I could find.  Their robot
isn't accessible at all in a text browser but works fine in Firefox.  If
you don't mind a bit of programming, their robot has an API which of
course can be accessed with curl from the command line.  I was
specifically asking about web hosts because most people don't want or need
a full server solution and it's a pain to set up a server just for basic
web sites and email.

With that said, I would be very interested in your telephony setup.  I've
been thinking about setting up Asterisk, but I have no experience with it
and I'm worried about bandwidth costs.  Hetzner gives at least 20 TB per
server, but with the other sites already on the server, I don't want to go
over my bandwidth limit.  How much bandwidth do you use in VoIP calls per
month?  You can write off list if you want.

Thanks very much.