mounting iphone/ipod/ipad from command line in linux

Willem van der Walt wvdwalt at csir.co.za
Tue May 12 04:28:17 EDT 2015

Hi,
I do not have one of these devices, but am working on a product where
people might want to mount their iWhatevers using command line tools.
i now have an IPod for testing.
It gets mounted as a normal uSB storage device and seem to work, but there
are a number of packages for using the Apple stuff under command line
linux.
e.g. libimobiledevice-utils.
There also is a script mount-iphone.sh which uses gvfs-mount to mount the
iphone.
It tells me that the device, refered to by its serial number, is already
mounted if I boot the machine with the iPod plugged in.
If I plug it in while the machine is running, I can use the script to
mount as root.  It then says the device is mounted, but not where.
According to the instructions that goes with the script, one should find
the name of the device under a directory in $HOME called .gvfs.  I do not
have such a directory after the mount.
Is any of you doing what I am trying to do?
Should I bother, or will all Apple devices be seen as a USB storage device
and be mounted without these other scripts?
TIA, Willem