problems properly configuring alsa

Shawn Kirkpatrick shawn at shawnk.ca
Wed Jun 17 19:23:48 EDT 2015

Hello. Depending on which emu-based card you have the controls you need to
set can be a little different.
If the card is an sb live (emu10k1) then these steps should work:
Set the capture source to Mic:
amixer cset name='Capture Source' Mic
Turn up the AC97 capture volume:
amixer set AC97 capture 100
This should enable you to record sound from the Mic without hearing it from
the speakers. If the sound is too low then you will have to turn on the mic
boost:
amixer set 'Mic Boost (+20db)' on
If you want to hear the sound being captured then turn up the AC97 playback
volume:
amixer set AC97 playback 100
If your source is set to Mic then you'll most likely get feedback as the mic
hears itself. Turning up this volume can be useful to hear other sources
like line or cd as they're being captured.
To get any playback out of the card you'll have to turn up the Master and
PCM controls.
If the card is an Audigy (emu10k2) then the setup is a bit different, you
usually just have to enable capture on the source you want.
When using amixer to get and set controls you have to watch the case and
spacing in the control names. You can also use alsamixer if you want to
adjust these controls in real time to see what effect they're having.
When you get things working as you'd like you might want to run alsactl
store to save your settings so they're restored at system boot.
Hope this helps.