Where Can I Input this Command?

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue Jun 16 04:20:04 EDT 2015

I'm coming in late on this, so if you've already solved the problem, please
disregard.

The script command has nothing to do with DECtalk or serial ports, although
I have used it to send all output to my DECtalk when I don't have Speakup
for some reason.  It won't help with your issue though.  It does one thing
and one thing only which is to log all console output and input to a file.
It works on the current terminal by launching a new shell.  That's why
"exit" stops the script.  It simply exits the shell.

I was thinking about your ongoing problems and have a solution, albeit not
ideal.  What about a cron job which runs every X minutes to reset speech?
Just create a shell script (nothing to do with the script command) to reset
your speech parameters and have cron run it every 2 minutes.  At least that
way it would eventually fix itself.  Another idea might be to define a key
combination to do this.  When the pitch is knocked down, press, for example,
Ctrl-F12 to run the reset script.  I played around with this a long time ago
and have forgotten how to set up key assignments in this way, so hopefully
someone else can provide input.  The cron job is simple enough.  Of course
you would first need to write and test a shell script.  Just put the "echo"
command in a file and chmod +x to make it executable.