Fwd: status of speakup hardware synth modules

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at panix.com
Sat Jun 6 16:02:30 EDT 2015

No they don't work under any connection circumstances unless you get and
continue to use a very ancient linux kernel that supported them.  These
were disabled by the linux kernel team (the builders of linux kernels)
for security reasons since those use the serial ports in ways that have
the security people worried.  I contacted Patrick Volkerding at
slackware.com and verified this.  It could be when the next version of
slackware comes out it may be possible to start software speech up on it
the same way you do on debian and do an install of slackware from that
point that will use software speech postinstallation.