espeak and orca, was: Re: Whonix/Tails

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Sun Jul 12 22:58:11 EDT 2015

What you're describing happens because of
pulseaudio. Orca/speech-dispatcher are using pulseaudio, while
espeakup is using the sound card directly, thus no speech from
speakup. You can:
1. Rebuild espeakup to use pulseaudio. I haven't done this, but
   understand it is doable. or:

2. Disable gdm3 from running. You can then use startx to bring up
   xorg, and espeakup/speakup will be back and talking when you end
   your x session. Unfortunately, espeakup doesn't talk for me in
   other consoles while I have the x session launched. So, if you
   intend to keep long term x sessions open, as well as use the text
   consoles, then you'll probably want to recompile espeakup to use
   pulseaudio.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net