Whonix/Tails

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sun Jul 12 05:25:41 EDT 2015

On 7/12/2015 1:30 AM, D.J.J. Ring, Jr. wrote:
> Also is there a distro where speakup continues to work when ORCA screen
> reader is run in X Windows GNOME?

What exactly do you mean by this?  If you mean is there a way to have
Speakup talking at the same time Orca is running in an X session, such as in
Gnome Terminal, the answer is no.  This is because Speakup automatically
goes silent when X starts if my understanding is correct.  If you mean is
there a way to have an X session running with Orca and a console session
running on a separate TTY with Speakup, the answer is yes.  For example,
tty7 runs X with Orca.  You press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to go to tty1 which is a text
console.  Speakup should be talking on tty1 while Orca should be talking in
your X session.  Vinux, Debian, probably Arch, etc should support this, also
automatically.  If that is not happening for you, we would need detailed
information on what distribution you're running and what speech packages you
have installed.