Getting speakup to run on debian

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Thu Dec 31 08:20:18 EST 2015

Steve Matzura, on Thu 31 Dec 2015 08:10:41 -0500, wrote:
> Oh that's bizarre. And the Debian accessibility department says it
> should be good.

"should" means "that's what we implemented". It does not mean that there
aren't potential bugs. And there *are*. So please report them.

I'm sorry I keep writing the same, but it's really killing me that a
dozen months after the Jessie release nobody reported the issue. I have
already sent a patch to the debian-cd package, and it'll probably be a
matter of days before it's fixed.  If only the issue had been reported
before, we'd have had a fixed Jessie way earlier.

> Since my installation is just for testing, should I
> start again with 7 and try upgrading to 8?

No need to. As I told you privately, just add the network mirror in your
sources.list, and espeakup should become available.

Samuel