enabling sound

jeremy icu8it2 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 00:43:41 EDT 2015

Both while running the latest kali live, and also using s at the boot
screen, to allow me to go through the installation using speakup, sound
seems to be working ok. I'll note though that I did have to raise the
volume quite a bit after starting orca, to hear any speech. I can't
speak to how well speakup or orca actually work on an installed system
though. Also, I didn't have speakup working for me in the consoles after
I started the system in live mode. Probably just a matter of loading the
speakup_soft driver, and then running speech-dispatcher or what ever
goes between the two, but, I don't know enough to be sure if that would
actually work. This is all done on a thinkpad, the x220, if that helps
at all.
Any tips/ideas on a more accessible way to know that you're actually
booting in to one of the live modes, and, to have it automatically start
out with one of the screenreaders already running? I had to rely on my
sighted wife to tell me the layout of the boot menu, and then to make
sure that I'd reached the desktop. Luckily, it was easy enough just to
use the volume keys to raise the volume for speech to start working.
Take it easy.
Blessings.