Accessible Live CD's?

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Mar 11 09:14:18 EDT 2014

I use grml for something practically every day.  The developers are very
receptive to adding accessability as long as it doesn't veer  away from
standard tools. In other words, if you  tell them a certain debian
package would be very useful for accessibility, the odds are very good
that it will be included. But if you ask them to tweak something to make
it accessible, they probably won't. Personally, I think that is a
reasonable, even positive, attitued. Non-standard tools or tweaks tend
to break. You don't want to rely on that stuff.  So I like grml.

To get software speech, do the following:
1. Boot from the grml live cd and wait until you here a 4 tone tune.
This tune means the system has finished booting.
2. Press enter to exit the grml menu.
3. Type commands to get software speech started:

modprobe speakup_soft
espeakup