How to stop SpeakUp saying 'Capital'

Mike Ray mike at raspberryvi.org
Sun Mar 9 19:32:15 EDT 2014

Hello Trevor.

If you're using pulse then my changes won't be relevant to you because
the changes are applied to wave.cpp which is used for portaudio.

I now have speech-dispatcher and speechd-up running with espeak compiled
for portaudio and sd configured for alsa.

I have also installed Orca on the default Raspbian with these changes
applied but so far whenever I try to run Orca the card flakes out.
Beginning to think it's just a step too far for the Pi.  Might work with
a lighter desktop than lxde.

I can send you the script that applies the changes if you want.

Have you tried trapping the kernel errors with a serial console? On the
Pi it is caused by the VCHIQ baulking at a null pointer caused by
latency set too fast.

Mike