Arch on ARM was Re: New TalkingArch website is live!

Chris Brannon chris at the-brannons.com
Sat Jan 11 20:21:44 EST 2014

Glenn <glennervin at cableone.net> writes:

> Hi All,
> Is there a talking Arch, or talking Ubuntu for the ARM platform?
> I have an MK802 and I tried the RPI version of Arch, but it did not come up
> talking.
> There is one image for it, but I haven't heard any sound out of it, it is
> called
> ubuntu-desktop-12.04-1-miniand.com.img.

Hey,
First, we should probably start a separate thread for this, rather than
hijacking Kyle's website thread!  Good work guys, BTW.  The new site
looks nice over here.

Here's the deal with ARM.  There is a great variety of processors and
boards, and they're not all compatible.
This isn't like x86 or x86-64.
I'm pretty sure that an Arch image for the Raspberry Pi won't run on a
MK802.  You'll need a separate image.
For that, you'd have to look at the ArchLinux on ARM project.
Their site is http://archlinuxarm.org.  If they have something that runs
on the MK802, it won't talk out of the box.  Someone in the community
will have to customize it.
If I could get my hands on an MK802 I'd be glad to have a go at it.

-- Chris