SpeakUp and the Raspberry Pi...more

Mike Ray mike at raspberryvi.org
Tue May 28 11:11:22 EDT 2013

Hello,

Forgive me if nobody on here is really interested in this stuff but I
thought I'd post it on the off-chance it sparks any ideas.

I have identified the reason for the crash of SpeakUp in the Raspberry
Linux kernel and the mechanism which is responsible.

There is a process running called VCHIQ-0.  This is a user-space
queueing mechanism which provides an interface to the Broadcom GPU on
the Pi.  It employs a system whereby user-space applications send it
messages and they get forwarded to the GPU.  This is done for both PCM
audio and video.

Until recently the bcm2835 driver did not support MMAP.  It does now but
there are other problems now with text-to-speech sounding very stuttery.

It occurred to me that with SpeakUp running in kernel-space, and using
espeakup to connect to espeak in user-space, only for ALSA to then use
the vchiq mechanism to queue PCM back into kernel-space, would it be
possible to write a SpeakUp module which totally encapsulates espeak to
execute in kernel-space?

Mike

--
Michael A. Ray
Analyst/Programmer

Interested in accessibility on the Raspberry Pi?
Visit: http://www.raspberryvi.org/