Speakup Dies when I Sleep my Laptop!

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Thu May 16 22:59:08 EDT 2013

Steve Holmes <steve at holmesgrown.com> wrote:
> I've been noticing a big problem lately when I close the lid on my
> laptop. I lose speech completely when I re-open the lid later. I'm
> running latest Arch Linux with the systemd implementation so espeakup
> is started as a system service and I also have speech dispatcher
> running as a central process using the systemd stuff. Anyway, When the
> lid is closed, it automatically runs whatever steps to "sleep" the
> machine. When I open it back up, most everything else "wakes" up find
> but I have no speech. I recall some incidents where espeak and spd-say
> would work when manually tested from the command line. alas, speakup
> is down for the count.

Try configuring the suspend process so that it unloads all of the Speakup
modules before suspending, and loads them again when it resumes.

I don't know how this is done with Systemd nowadays, but it has always been
possible to write scripts that unload modules before a machine is suspended.

Your message isn't totally clear: I'm assuming that when the system resumes,
audio is fine, Speech-Dispatcher works, but Speakup doesn't. If that's the
case, it's the Speakup modules you want to unload/restart. Otherwise, if it's
audio related then that's a different kind of issue.