Windows bashing was: Re: Voxin was: Re: Switching to Linux

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Mon May 13 17:44:35 EDT 2013

Yes, AVG-free used to generate a license key for you, but doesn't do
that currently. The pro version is still around. The free version
seems to just be called AVG, and the pro version is called AVG
Internet Essentials I believe. Yes, AVG still shows ads to upgrade to
the paid version, and you have to be very diligent to make sure you
get the free version when you install from scratch, or update to the
new version when one comes out.

Yes, AVG does ask for your e-mail address when you install, but that's
only if you want to register on the user forum to get community
support. You don't need to provide your e-mail address to just use it,
and I can't recall ever providing mine. Avast can be used for 30 days,
but does require registration if you want to use it longer than that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avast#Registration

Greg

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 01:35:08AM -0700, Tony Baechler wrote:

> On 5/12/2013 12:25 PM, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> > I'm just curious, where are you getting these various recommendations
> > from? Word of mouth, or one or more sites? If sites, which ones?
>
> https://www.techsupportalert.com/security-wizard-infection-check.htm
> >
> > I had a look at:
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_antivirus_software
> >
> > and it seems that MSE doesn't provide boot time scanning, and web
> > protection. While AVG doesn't provide as much as other scanners, it
> > does provide those two. That, along with the fact that I haven't had
> > problems with AVG so far would still prompt me to choose it over MSE,
> > but that's just my personal choice of course.
>
> I read from a site now gone (the Langa List) that several months went by
> with no AVG updates and no word as to why.  I clearly remember registering
> AVG before it would run.  It was free of charge but required a yearly
> renewal.  I think I had to give them an email address for an unlock code,
> but I could be misremembering that part.  This was all several years ago.
>  I used Avast once and didn't like it, but I don't recall it requiring
> registration.  Nod32 has been recommended several times by GW Micro and
> you can search the gw-info list archives.  I used to have good luck with
> Norton Antivirus as far as accessibility but now Norton Internet Security
> has a totally different interface and I couldn't use it at all.
>
> After I installed ClamWin and was determining whether to dump AVG and
> switch to ClamWin as my primary virus scanner, I did a full system scan.
> What's interesting about that is how much less resources ClamWin used.  It
> found about a dozen viruses totally missed by AVG.  They were not active.
>  They were email attachments which I didn't open and Eudora had saved
> before I switched to Thunderbird.
> >
> > Yes, AVG is free for personal use, but not for business. It's been this
> > way since I started using it in the 6.x days:
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVG_(software)#Versions_for_Windows_desktop_clients
> >
> >  If there's a nominal fee, I'm not aware of it. I'm using it just
> > fine, and haven't been asked once by AVG for a credit card number.
>
> No, not for personal use.  I wasn't asked either, but I'm pretty sure it
> showed an ad to upgrade to the pro version.  I don't think the pro version
> is still around as I don't see it mentioned anywhere.
> >
> > From what I know, avast requires one to register, even though it's
> > free. Nothing wrong with that, but if I have to choose between free
> > alternatives which require me to register, and those that don't, I'll
> > naturally go with those that don't, as long as they work for me.

web site: http://www.gregn..net
gpg public key: http://www.gregn..net/pubkey.asc
skype: gregn1