Windows bashing was: Re: Voxin was: Re: Switching to Linux

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Mon May 13 04:35:08 EDT 2013

https://www.techsupportalert.com/security-wizard-infection-check.htm

> I had a look at:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_antivirus_software
>
> and it seems that MSE doesn't provide boot time scanning, and web
> protection. While AVG doesn't provide as much as other scanners, it
> does provide those two. That, along with the fact that I haven't had
> problems with AVG so far would still prompt me to choose it over MSE,
> but that's just my personal choice of course.

I read from a site now gone (the Langa List) that several months went by
with no AVG updates and no word as to why.  I clearly remember registering
AVG before it would run.  It was free of charge but required a yearly
renewal.  I think I had to give them an email address for an unlock code,
but I could be misremembering that part.  This was all several years ago.
 I used Avast once and didn't like it, but I don't recall it requiring
registration.  Nod32 has been recommended several times by GW Micro and
you can search the gw-info list archives.  I used to have good luck with
Norton Antivirus as far as accessibility but now Norton Internet Security
has a totally different interface and I couldn't use it at all.

After I installed ClamWin and was determining whether to dump AVG and
switch to ClamWin as my primary virus scanner, I did a full system scan.
What's interesting about that is how much less resources ClamWin used.  It
found about a dozen viruses totally missed by AVG.  They were not active.
 They were email attachments which I didn't open and Eudora had saved
before I switched to Thunderbird.

> Yes, AVG is free for personal use, but not for business. It's been this
> way since I started using it in the 6.x days:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVG_(software)#Versions_for_Windows_desktop_clients
>
>  If there's a nominal fee, I'm not aware of it. I'm using it just
> fine, and haven't been asked once by AVG for a credit card number.

No, not for personal use.  I wasn't asked either, but I'm pretty sure it
showed an ad to upgrade to the pro version.  I don't think the pro version
is still around as I don't see it mentioned anywhere.