Talking GDM [Was: Voxin was: Switching to Linux]

Kyle kyle4jesus at gmail.com
Sun May 12 23:15:10 EDT 2013

Yes, these are indeed the steps I took to make the screen reader start:
alt-control-tab, right arrow once, down arrow 4 times, enter and reboot.
I had only tested them on Arch, but I think it's a gnome-shell thing, so
it should work on any distro with gnome-shell 3.6, and may work on
earlier versions as well. I have read that there may be a hotkey option
coming in the future, but some funky things with pulseaudio will have to
be worked out also, or there will be a lot of disappointments when it
doesn't work as expected. Of course I refer to the autospawn  being
turned off by default, which causes a copy of /etc/pulse/client.conf to
need to be copied to /var/lib/gdm/.config/pulse/client.conf and
autospawn to need to be enabled in GDM's copy just to make that talking
login screen work properly. I'm sure turning autospawn off by default
fixed some things for other users, but it sure did make things more
difficult for those of us who need Orca at the login screen. Of course
this won't be a problem at all for users who disable pulseaudio
systemwide, as speech should work in gdm the same as it does on the desktop.
~Kyle
http://kyle.tk/
--
"Kyle? ... She calls her cake, Kyle?"